4 Table Summaries
The rec_data database has 12 main tables containing data, plus additional tables documenting the codes used in the database. There are a number of views of the tables t_effort and t_catch which show the data from individual surveys. The following is a listing and brief outline of the tables contained in rec_data.
4.1 Boat ramp and shellfish harvest tables:
: contains details of location, date, time, and environmental data regarding a session, recording details of fishers returning from a fishing trip.
2. t_fisher_count : contains counts of the number of fishers collecting shellfish on areas of the beach for a shellfish harvest survey.
3. t_group : contains details about the boat or group of people including if they were fishing.
4. t_interview : contains details from an interview with the fisher(s) including fishing effort, method, demographic and area information.
5. t_weight : contains the weights of the species caught in a shellfish harvest survey.
6. t_length : contains lengths or counts of fish caught or shellfish harvested by the fisher being interviewed.
7. t_observd_codes : documents the observed codes used in the attribute t_length.observd.
8. t_observer : contains details about observations of fishing activity including fishing location.
9. t_obs_count : contains counts of observations of fishing activity in the table t_observer.
10. t_count_codes : describes the codes used for attribute count_codes in table t_obs_count.
11. t_ctch_cen93 : contains catch details by species for the CEN93 survey. These data were collected in a different format (e.g., the weights are total catch weights).
12. t_len_cen93 : contains fish lengths from the CEN93 survey.
These data were collected in a different format.
4.2 Diary survey tables:
1. t_phone : contains the data from the initial telephone or intercept questionnaire, including details of their fishing practices, age and sex.
2. t_sca : contains details of the respondent’s recent scallop fishing trips. Currently for the Central region survey only.
3. t_response : contains response status details for each respondent for each quarter of the year; i.e., if they made any fishing trips or not, and whether contact had been maintained.
4. t_effort : contains fishing effort information by trip for each respondent.
(a) v_cen93_effort : a view of effort data where survey = ‘CEN93’7.
(b) v_cen94_effort : a view of effort data where survey = ‘CEN94’.
(c) v_nat96_effort : a view of effort data where survey = ‘NAT96’ and resp not in (3578, 3579, 47, 446, 1215, 1249) and fish_date match ‘*96’ .
(d) v_nat97_effort8 : a view of effort data from the national survey in 1997, where survey = ‘NAT97’ and fish_date match ‘*97’.
(e) v_nor94_effort : a view of effort data where survey = ‘NOR94’.
(f) v_sou92_effort : a view of effort data where survey = ‘SOU92’.
(g) v_sou93_effort : a view of effort data where survey = ‘SOU93’.
5. t_catch : contains the number of the species caught and for some surveys the weight.
(a) v_cen93_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘CEN93’.
(b) v_cen94_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘CEN94’.
(c) v_nat96_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘NAT96’.
(d) v_nat97_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘NAT97’.
(e) v_nor94_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘NOR94’.
(f) v_sou92_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘SOU92’.
(g) v_sou93_catch : a view of catch data where survey = ‘SOU93’.
6. t_lgth : has the length of selected diarists catches, currently of snapper, kahawai, and blue cod from the national 1996 survey. Data from the survey ‘KAI99’ is also included in this table
4.3 Shared code tables:
1. t_survey_codes : documents the codes used in the attribute survey.
2. t_zonef_codes : lists the fishing zones as defined for the diary surveys.
3. t_locality_codes : describes the area codes used in the attribute fish_loc for fishing locality.
4. t_fishmeth_codes : documents the fishing method codes used.
5. t_ramp_codes : lists the codes used for boat ramps, beaches, and boat departure points used by fishers.
6. t_boat_codes : lists the codes used for the attributes boat and group_type.
7 See Appendix 2 for an explanation of the survey codes referred to above.