Closed and restricted areas
In the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area there are 10 Marine Reserves administered by the Department of Conservation.
The following is a list of the Marine Reserves running from North to South:
- Piopiotahi (Milford Sound) Marine Reserve
- Te Hapua (Sutherland Sound) Marine Reserve
- Hawea (Clio Rocks) Marine Reserve [Bligh Sound]
- Kahukura (Gold Arm) Marine Reserve [Charles Sound]
- KutuParera (Gaer Arm) Marine Reserve [Bradshaw Sound]
- Te Awaatu Channel (The Gut) Marine Reserve [Doubtful Sound]
- TaipariRoa (Elizabeth Island) Marine Reserve [Doubtful Sound]
- MoanaUta (Wet Jacket Arm) Marine Reserve [Acheron Passage]
- Taumoana (Five Fingers Peninsula) Marine Reserve [Dusky Sound]
- Te Tapuwae o Hua (Long Sound) Marine Reserve [Preservation Inlet]
Within the marine reserves, all marine life is competely protected with all fishing, both non-commercial and commercial totally prohibited.
There are heavy penalties for breaching fisheries regulations including graduated infringement notice penalties of $250 and $500, maximum court fines of $10,000 and, for serious non-commercial offences, there are maximum court fines of $20,000 and $250,000 along with automatic forfeiture of any fish, gear and property (including vessels and vehicles) used in the commission of the offence.