No person may take or possess more than 6 rock lobster (both species combined) on any one day.
Rock lobster may not be possessed seaward of the high water mark in an unmeasurable state.
Protected rock lobster
The following types of rock lobster are protected by law and must be returned immediately to the water:
- Undersized rock lobster.
- Any female rock lobster carrying external eggs (these are carried between the pleopods on the underside of the tail).
- Any rock lobster in the soft shell stage.
- Any rock lobster that cannot be measured (e.g. because of damage to the tail preventing accurate measurement).
It is an offence to remove external eggs or the egg-bearing appendages from any rock lobster.
It is an offence to:
- Remove external eggs or the egg-bearing appendages from any rock lobster.
- Use any spear or device which could puncture the shell when taking rock lobster, or possess any rock lobster which has been speared.
Only hand operated loops or lassoes may be used to take rock lobster.It is prohibited to use a spring loaded loop or lasso.
Use of Pots
All rock lobster pots must have an escape gap as detailed in the “ESCAPE GAPS FOR ROCK LOBSTER POTS” section.
Escape gaps restrictions
No person may take or possess
- Male red rock lobster with a tail width less than 54 mm.
- Female red rock lobster with a tail width less than 60 mm.
- Packhorse rock lobster (either sex) with a tail length shorter than 216 mm.
How to measure red rock lobster
The tail width is measured in a straight line between the tips of the two large (primary) spines on the second segment of the tail (see diagram). The sex is easily determined:
- Females have small pincers on the rear pair of legs.
- Pleopods are in paired form on each side of the underside of female tails, and are in single form in male tails.
If you are unsure of the sex, use the 60 mm measurement and you will be safe.
How to measure Packhorse rock lobster
The tail length is measured along the underside in a straight line from the rear of the calcified bar on the first segment to the tip of the middle fan or the tail.