THE OUTPUT PLAN: FISHERIES SERVICES TO BE PROVIDED IN 2005/06
CONSULTATION ON THE PROVISION OF FISHERIES SERVICES
The Ministry of Fisheries undertakes several annual consultation processes with tangata whenua and other stakeholders
on matters such as sustainability and management controls, stock assessment and the Statement of Intent. The process of
consultation is to seek the views of iwi and hapu and other stakeholders on fisheries management issues, and to incorporate
those views into the subsequent advice given to Ministers. The final SOI acknowledges the views of stakeholders.
Unless otherwise stated:
- all financial information is expressed in $000s and on a GST-exclusive basis
- a variance calculation shown in brackets ( ) signifies an increase in expenditure or a decrease in revenue.
EXPLANATION OF YEAR-ON-YEAR CHANGES
Specific changes, including the additional services to be provided in 2005/06, are noted in the explanation for each service. Other changes relate to increases/decreases in the number of hours of effort being applied to an output, and the ongoing effects of 2004 Budget initiatives.
POLICY ADVICE QUALITY STANDARDS
The standards for policy advice are set out below.
- The aim or purpose is clearly stated and the advice answers the questions set.
- The assumptions behind the advice are explicit, and the argument is logical and supported by facts.
- The facts are accurate and all material facts are included.
- An adequate range of options has been presented and each has been assessed for benefits, costs and consequences to the Government and the community.
- There is evidence of adequate consultation with interested parties, and possible objections to proposals/content are identified and considered.
- The problems of implementation, technical feasibility, timing or consistency with other policies/reports have been considered.
- The format meets Cabinet Office requirements; the material is effectively, concisely and clearly presented, has short sentences in plain English and is free of grammatical or spelling errors.
- The product quality will be supported by a process that provides for circulation of drafts for critiquing by other government agencies and other affected stakeholders, internal peer review and checking procedures, adherence to the Ministry’s policy
framework and consistency with relevant legislative obligations.