The Ministry’s Role
Our role is to act as the government’s principal adviser on New Zealand’s fisheries management and on matters related to the aquatic environment, including issues that may impact on the continued viability of fisheries or other marine resources.
Our mission is expressed in our Māori name – Te Tautiaki i nga tini a Tangaroa – which means the guardian of the multitudes of Tangaroa, gifted to the Ministry by tangata whenua.
Our behaviour will, at all times, be consistent with the responsibilities of the Crown as partner to the Treaty of Waitangi and our specific legal obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi (Fisheries Claims) Settlement Act 1992 and the Fisheries Act 1996.
The Ministry’s work covers issues ranging from:
- reviewing the policy and legal frameworks to enable fishers to obtain “best value” from the use of the resource
- maintaining fisheries’ sustainability
- demonstrating environmental performance
- delivering the Crown’s Treaty settlement obligations
- achieving compliance with fisheries laws and regulations
- providing stock assessment information and advice to the Minister to set annual catch levels
- securing and maintaining access to international markets for our seafood product
- combating illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing.
To achieve this, the Ministry works with a wide range of other government agencies; its Treaty partner; service providers, including Commercial Fisheries Services Ltd (FishServe) and research providers; and stakeholder groups, including fishers and environmental organisations.
The Ministry’s values continue to guide organisational development:
- Integrity – Ministry people are professional and widely trusted. We are honest and take responsibility. We strive to be open, transparent and impartial.
- Respect – We respect each other, tangata whenua, stakeholders, the law and the aquatic environment. We respect and value our role as guardians of our fisheries resources.
- Constructive relationships – We understand the sector we work in and the needs and expectations of those we work with. We maintain constructive relationships, engaging effectively with others to achieve the best outcomes possible.
- Achieving results – approach our work with energy and drive, with a focus on achieving high quality results. We value teamwork and collaboration. We share information and recognise people’s contribution to our goals.
- Continual improvement – We embrace continual improvement in the pursuit of excellence. We are agile learners and actively develop our skills, knowledge and behaviours. We are committed to helping our people to be successful.