Areas of work where contractors and consultants were used during the year
The Ministry engages contractors and consultants during the year to:
- undertake the fisheries research required to obtain the information necessary to advise the Minister of Fisheries on annual harvest levels. All fisheries research projects are tendered externally on a contestable basis.
- assist in the provision of legal advice, particularly in relation to litigation faced by the Ministry.
- provide particular levels of expertise that are required on a short term basis.
In addition to these, the Ministry has also outsourced its payroll function, travel services, fleet management and specific services relating to fisheries administration.
The costs of consultants and contractors engaged in 2007/08 are set out below.
|Fisheries research projects ||18,044|
|Legal advice and litigation ||1,510|
|Ministry operating and capital expenditure ||4,072|
|Outsourced services ||3,552|
Overseas travel undertaken during the year
The Ministry undertakes overseas travel each year to:
- promote and protect New Zealand’s interests in and access to international fisheries and markets
- keep abreast of developments in fisheries science
- maintain long term Ministry capability.
The cost of overseas travel in 2007/08 is shown below.
|New Zealand’s interests in and access to international markets ||276 |
|Developments in fisheries science ||138|
|Maintaining long term Ministry capability ||306|
In addition to the above travel, the Ministry also undertakes travel to Australia and the South Pacific on a range of fisheries related issues. The cost of this in 2007/08 was $191,000.