Output Class - Fisheries Information and Monitoring, Ministry of Fisheries
This output class covers research and other service outputs relating to gathering and analysing data about New Zealand's fisheries to support decisions about sustainable utilisation, and the provision of information on the biodiversity of New Zealand's marine environment. Research costs represent existing projects that have been consulted on in past years, and proposed new projects.
- Provide the information required to ensure the sustainable utilisation of New Zealand's fisheries resources.
- Manage fisheries to contribute to sustainable utilisation by scientifically evaluating:
- sustainable yields from, and status of, fisheries resources
- the effects of fishing on the aquatic environment, including on the viability of associated or dependent species, and on biological diversity
- alternative strategies for achieving the desired level of yield while avoiding, remedying or mitigating adverse effects of fishing on the aquatic environment
- analysis of relevant cultural factors that may need to be included in the management decision process
- the specific measures needed to implement the appropriate management strategy.