Achieving our vision relies on the commitment and ability of our people, the quality of our services and the strength of our relationships with others who have an interest and involvement in the fishery. Organisational initiatives to promote these three areas will ensure the Ministry’s ongoing capability and readiness.
High performing people We will develop, retain and attract high performing people. We will:
- enhance a constructive values-based culture where diversity is valued
- maintain and develop high performing staff, technical experts, managers and leaders for current and future needs
- maintain an enduring Ministry of Fisheries Strategic Plan and supporting strategies staff understand and support
- enhance strategies to ensure staff receive, through effective communications, all information to perform and grow and be part of the Ministry.
- anticipate change by working inclusively with staff and others (drivers include oceans policy decisions, e-government strategy and the Review of the Centre)
- determine and develop social, economic and ecological analytical skills
- develop and implement a risk management approach to the way we work.
- monitor leadership, management and staff and their whole workplace environment
- evaluate the effectiveness of internal communications.
We will develop and maintain effective, long-term, values-based relationships with Ministers, other central and local government agencies, tangata whenua, stakeholders and the public. We will:
- improve and achieve constructive, collaborative, and effective relationships with iwi and stakeholders
- improve cross-government collaboration, taking into account government decisions on public sector management
- improve the effectiveness of external communications.
- develop and implement a relationship strategy that is values-driven with a long-term horizon
- develop productive partnerships, relationships and alliances
- improve New Zealanders’ understanding of and involvement in fisheries management frameworks.
- monitor the nature and effective use of relationships
- evaluate the involvement of stakeholders and other interested parties in fisheries management
- evaluate the effectiveness of communications.
We will provide efficient services that adapt to the changing needs of Ministers, the public sector, tangata whenua and stakeholders. We will:
- ensure integrity of processes and services
- ensure processes and services are transparent and integrated
- ensure cost-effective and flexible processes and services
- comply with government frameworks and standards for managing information (including e-government)
- secure quality information on fisheries, biodiversity and biosecurity management
- improve operations and business planning and performance monitoring
- maintain asset base and utilise technologies.
- ensure value-adding consultation is carried out, including input and participation of tangata whenua into fisheries management, biodiversity and biosecurity decisions
- achieve superior business and financial management systems.
- monitor the effectiveness, efficiency and compliance of processes, systems and information.