Commercial fishing vessel seized at Napier
4 February 2011
The Ministry of Fisheries reported today that earlier this week it had seized a 30-metre stern trawler at the Port of Napier together with its 30-tonne catch.
Fishery Officers boarded the vessel on its arrival in port on Tuesday afternoon and later that day seized the vessel and catch for serious breaches of the Fisheries Act.
Ray McKay, Field Operations Manager for Hawke’s Bay/Wairarapa, said the catch has since been sold and the proceeds of sale were being held in trust by the Ministry of Fisheries, pending the investigation outcome.
“I anticipate that the investigation will be completed within a month, at which stage a decision will be made by the Ministry whether to lay charges for breaches of the fisheries legislation,” Mr McKay said.
“Discussions to have the vessel returned under bond to the Tauranga-based operator, with strict conditions attached, are continuing.”
Mr McKay said that neither the fishing company nor the vessel could carry out any fishing activity while the investigation was being undertaken.
The Ministry of Fisheries is not in a position to make any further comment until the investigation has concluded.