New Zealand Fisheries at a Glance
|NZ Marine Fisheries Waters (EEZ and Territorial Sea)
||4.4 million km² |
|Marine species identified1
|Species commercially fished2
|Area closed to bottom trawling (fisheries restrictions)
|Exclusive Economic Zone
||Moderate with some high |
||Sub-tropical to sub-Antarctic |
|Quota Management System (QMS) stocks |
|Species/species complexes in QMS
|Individual stocks in QMS
|Proportion of catch (by weight) from assessed stocks3
|Assessed stocks at or near target level
|Allowable commercial take (TACC)4
||599,126 tonnes |
|Actual commercial catch
||409,449 tonnes |
|Commercial Fisheries and Aquaculture |
|Total seafood export value, 2009 (FOB)5
||$1.42 billion |
||$279 million |
|Total seafood exports, 2009
||287,508 tonnes |
|Total quota value7
||$4.017 billion |
|Commercial fishing vessels
|Processors and Licensed Fish Receivers
|Direct employment (full-time equivalents)
|Customary Fisheries |
|Tangata Tiaki appointed (South Island)
|Tangata Kaitiaki appointed (North Island)
|Temporary closures (s186)
|Customary take provided for within the TAC
||4,813 tonnes |
|Recreational Fisheries |
|Estimated participation (as a % of the total NZ population )8
||19.5 % |
|Estimated annual take
||25,000 tonnes |
|Ministry of Fisheries |
|Budget 2010/2011 (excl. GST)
||$103.7 million |
||$13.3 million |
|Staff (March 2010) (FTEs)
|Honorary Fisheries Officers (March 2010)
|Observers (March 2010)
1. Environment New Zealand 2007, Ministry for the Environment.
2. All species commercially fished, including those outside of the QMS.
3. Percentage of stocks calculated by weight and value, excluding squid.
4. Latest complete fishing year, excludes OYU5, which are recorded as individuals.
5. Seafood Export Summary Report, SeaFIC 2009 calendar year.
6. Mussel, salmon and oyster exports from Seafood Export Summary Report, SeaFIC, 2009 calendar year.
7. Statistics New Zealand, Fish monetary stock accounts, 1996–2009.
8. Sport and Recreation Profile: Fishing, SPARC 2007/08 Active NZ Survey, 2009.