Squid Fishery around Auckland Islands (SQU6T): Final Advice paper
The Minister of Fisheries has recently approved measures to mitigate the effects that vessels, operating in the SQU6T fishery, have on the Auckland Island sea lion population. These measures will be implemented through the 2008-09 SQU6T Operational Plan, and include
- A limit on the number of sea lion deaths attributable to vessels operating in the SQU6T fishery – the fishing-related mortality limit (FRML);
- Procedures to monitor sea lion bycatch against this limit;
- A process to close the fishery if this limit is reached
In summary the Minister approved:
- A FRML of 113 sea lions
- A predetermined strike rate of 5.65% which is used to monitor bycatch against the FRML
- A sea lion exclusion device (SLED) discount factor of 35%.
A copy of the Final Advice Paper that was provided to the Minister and the operational plan can be found below, as can a copy of the Ministers decision letter to stakeholders.
If you require further information on this decision or on the SQU6T fishery please contact Aoife Martin, Manager Deepwater Fisheries on 04 819 4675 or Aoife.firstname.lastname@example.org
Download 2008-09 SQU6T Operational Plan: Final Advice Paper (PDF 1.4MB)
Download 2008-09 SQU6T Operational Plan: (PDF 304KB)
Download Stakeholder Letter (PDF 126KB)